Extinct forgotten convict dogs of Australia

Extinct forgotten convict dogs of Australia

Postby Gun on 1. March 2015, 15:24

Was watching a movie today, a crappy australian movie about how some convict escaped in tasmania, became a cannibal and then went on to breed other inbred cannibals that still existed into the present day, etc etc. great premise, poorly executed.

Anyway, in one scene the escaped convict was being tracked and was impressed to see they actually used harlequin danes to depict the type of dog that would be used-
Which I think is probably fairly accurate.

There is very little mention or record of the dogs used to manage, intimidate, punish and track convicts in early australia, but they definitely existed and I think it's pretty safe to assume they must have been similar to the bloodhounds of the new world.

There is just mention that the convict prisons and chain gangs and etc would be guarded by "large ferocious dogs" and some mention of said dogs being used to hunt down escaped convicts, but they never really say what they are, which is pretty typically australian I think, to not bother to come up with a name for them, and for this reason they're now totally forgotten.

The only other thing I can really find is this artwork of the dogs used to intimidate convicts-

Could well be remembered like the "cuban bloodhound" if only someone coined a name for them.
Gun

Re: Extinct forgotten convict dogs of Australia

Postby 1234 on 1. March 2015, 18:13

Interesting! What if we called them Australian Bloodhounds! Since there is no name for them why not come up with our own name?

Postby freed on 6. March 2015, 04:06

Gun wrote:There is just mention that the convict prisons and chain gangs and etc would be guarded by "large ferocious dogs" and some mention of said dogs being used to hunt down escaped convicts, but they never really say what they are, which is pretty typically australian I think, to not bother to come up with a name for them, and for this reason they're now totally forgotten.

The only other thing I can really find is this artwork of the dogs used to intimidate convicts-

Could well be remembered like the "cuban bloodhound" if only someone coined a name for them.

Very nice thread Gun.
It is quite difficult to say what type they are, beside that that they are big dogs. It almost seems they have hair like a Deerhound.
freed

Postby sunnyAK on 7. March 2015, 06:22

Please tell us, when you find out more about these dogs mate.
sunnyAK

Postby Varna on 8. March 2015, 01:30

What type of dogs were they? Are there some more sources?
Varna

Postby Gun on 8. March 2015, 21:46

So far no, very little information, but this doesn't mean they weren't here in great numbers with a big role to play. Sort of the same old story, dog history is very poorly documented as a rule. Look at Roman war dogs, in operation for thousands of years, no doubt millions of dogs, but all we get is a few offhand remarks. We can't even agree on what they were or what they did.

These convict dogs only had a role for less than a century in a very tight lipped aloof culture so it should be no surprise we have little to go on.
Gun

Postby da pink on 10. March 2015, 12:42

Stands to reason they'd be of the type used in the "other" New World.

They'd be kept by the Britts though, maybe mastiff/wofhound crosses?

I want a time machine
da pink

Return to Gentils of Australia - Pig dogs and staghounds