Why do so many people love fat dogs/fat GMs?

Why do so many people love fat dogs/fat GMs?

Postby sunnyAK on 27. April 2017, 03:14

Lol, here people are fascinated by a dog and compare it to a way better looking German Mastiff and call it "American Great Dane vs Russian Great Dane".
Note, the so called "Russian Great Dane" has not much to do with a real Great Dane/German Mastiff and is simple a cross between a German Mastiff and some kind of big heavy boned dog.
I have once seen a German Mastiff x Saint Bernard that looked exactly like the dog they are amazed by and call it "Russian Great Dane".:roll:
This dog has nothing to do with a "Running Mastiff" anymore and would not be able to hunt a boar.

In the second pic you can read my answer.

sunnyAK

Re: Why do so many people love fat dogs/fat GMs?

Postby da pink on 27. April 2017, 13:32

same as the reason people breed American Bullies - they look impressive to people who don't know a lot
da pink

Postby sunnyAK on 2. May 2017, 06:19

da pink wrote:same as the reason people breed American Bullies - they look impressive to people who don't know a lot

The whole dog-scene is full of fucknuts. They all know a shit and want to breed massive dogs and then think that their hyped overgrown mongrels are "badass".
If I read the stuff from so called "breeders" on Facebook I realize how damn stupid they are.
They all want to breed fihting mutts and it always sounds like that
"Get a huge Boz dog and breed it to a huge BK and then breed it to fat broad chested drooling Boerboel and you have a machine". WTF?! You will have a fat whatever!

They have never heared of establishing a type, instead they are breeding for mass, and they are not even selecting for temperament etc.
I also think it is a waste of time getting all these "rare exotic breeds" and mixing them!
What is the point in doing this stuff?
sunnyAK

Postby sunnyAK on 2. May 2017, 06:33

@ Gun
You have access to many dogs! Why don't you start getting some good German Mastiffs and breed them to tough working boarhounds. I am pretty sure you could establish an "Alaunt Veantre type" pretty close to the old German Boarhounds and the Bärenbeisser "type" that would be a formidable hunter, guard dog as well and also capable to handle some overgrown BKs and Kangals as well that are so much hyped these days. BKs have a weak mouth and Kangals have other flaws as combat dogs. I don´t mean you should breed for combat, I just want to say they should be able to handle these dogs too.

You at least have the intellect to do a breeding that makes sense, so why not focusing on a nice lean veantre type that has a "brave attitude"? Most people are just into mixing exotic breeds.
sunnyAK

Postby sunnyAK on 2. May 2017, 06:40

Nobody is breeding for this type anymore! They only breed for heavy bones and like super broad chested mongrels.
An athletic Veantre around 80 cm is considerd as "weak", but it would be so much more a true performance "heavy weight" than all these other mongrels!

For me they look like large Alanos with a nice splash of Sighthound, but still with a "performance mastiff type head".
Attachments
4559883German_Mastiff-sunnyAK-1.jpg
4559883German_Mastiff-sunnyAK-1.jpg (210.92 KiB) Viewed 471 times
sunnyAK

Postby Gun on 2. May 2017, 11:46

I started out with pretty shit taste in dogs. I mean I started with a hairy mongrel pig dog but I thought 100% of his awesomeness was from ebt so I assumed purebred ebt would be way better, and then logically pure rednosed pitbull better still. I wasn't far off if pit fighting was the bar, but I was dumb and liked jacked bulky petbulls, nothing like the "american bully" monstrosities around today because they didn't exist, but not real gamebred pit dogs either. The big striking jacked pitbulls of the 90s with chains instead of collars. Think you know what i mean. Then I moved on to "exotics" (at the time) like neos, ddbs, boerboels, filas, corsos, presas, dogos and finally Bandogs. With lucero Bandogs being pretty much the ultimate in my eyes for a good while. I thought non exotics like bullmastiffs and Danes were total shit compared to all of the above.

Now my view is bullmastiffs and Danes are among the best of all of the above, but really better than all of the above is real working dogs which aren't the result of any bs pure breed or even bs breeding "program".

Like way way better. Gamebred apbts and racing greyhounds the only "pure" "breeds" worth anything and really because they're worked and bred like mongrel working dogs rather than other breeds.

Beyond that, physiologically yeah bulk is extremely repulsive to me now knowing how counter productive it is to performance. Whether muscular or fat makes no difference to me it's just all shit. Strength in the neck thighs and shoulders is great but close inspection of some of the bulky dogs I used to like often shows them to not even have strong necks or thighs just wide chests, fat heavy legs and ballooned stupid craniums that serve no purpose.
Gun

Postby da pink on 3. May 2017, 11:51

I went thru a similar learning curve. . . .my interest in dogs peaked when the idea (in towns and cities) of a good staffie would look like it had almost no terrier in at all, just bulky with a massive head. (Un)fortunately my ocd brain and love of history led me to actually learning about dogs.

I hate this line of thinking too [quote]"Get a huge Boz dog and breed it to a huge BK and then breed it to fat broad chested drooling Boerboel and you have a machine". [quote]

They are incapable of assembling a plan that does it best to take the better qualities from each type/breed, or accept that the type/breed is best left alone. Just cross "badass" to "badass" to "badass" & obviously you'll end up with a super duper badass dog :shock: :ugeek:

Rather than using brains like the oz pigdoggers and making it simple. "EBT has the drive but not the body, GD could do with more drive, let's try 'n' coax the two together"
da pink

Postby sunnyAK on 4. May 2017, 05:47

This is a very old German statue of a German Mastiff. I really love this type!
Attachments
Deutsche-Dogge-Bismark.jpg
Deutsche-Dogge-Bismark.jpg (193.95 KiB) Viewed 455 times
sunnyAK

Return to German Mastiff (Deutsche Dogge)