Jarryd Hayne and the NFL

Jarryd Hayne and the NFL

Postby Gun on 5. September 2015, 12:38

This is a mostly european forum it seems so I assume you guys don't follow either australian or american sports so this might have gone under your radar, but NRL(national rugby league- of australia) superstar Jarryd Hayne just randomly decided last year to reject a 5 million dollar contract and leave the sport where he is considered one of the greats and try his hand at american football. Just paid his own way to go to america and tryout. Well ofcourse all the americans thought he stood no chance, but he's fast proving to be well and truly good enough, in fact he leads the nfl in the preseason in average yards per run, by far.

This is especially gratifying to me as I have literally been pushing for this for 10 years, saying the NRL has special athletes as good as anywhere in the world and that they (some- jarryd always a top contender for me) could make an impact in the NFL.
Funny video-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbDCR216-UI
Gun

Re: Jarryd Hayne and the NFL

Postby da pink on 24. September 2015, 13:38

NRL players are top level athletes. I believe any top level RL player could make the transition to American football, and vice versa.

Is he making big money over there? Has it paid off?
da pink

Postby Gun on 25. September 2015, 07:05

He actually had to take a significant pay cut, salary wise from the respective leagues. However it's such a big story he's apparently going to make a killing in endorsement deals. Seems ultimately it will pay off, although he says money was never the motivation.

He absolutely killed it in preseason, then unfortunately made a mistake on his first touch in the first regular season game. Has played well other than that in his limited touches, but is yet to have his big moment, only a matter of time.
Gun

Postby Gun on 26. September 2015, 04:43

Just realised that vid doesn't work anymore, well here's his preseason highlights anyway-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDiiI1Nn61E

Nrl Highlights-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yItnEVoD0VQ

And Greg Inglis highlights for good measure because he's even better-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwOadAFg4M8

My love for these rugby derived sports (all of them including american football and rugby union) is, in my mind, connected to my love for hunting dogs and animals because it's kind of like predator vs prey, and that struggle is so cool to me. Even better than fighting, which I do like a lot (especially ufc) but not as much as these sports and similarly with dogs I prefer hunting scenarios to fighting ones.
Gun

Postby da pink on 28. September 2015, 14:33

you watching the World Cup then?
da pink

Postby Gun on 30. September 2015, 01:33

Yeah for sure. Was bummed England lost to wales, have always liked England in rugby but looks like this might not be their year. Of course that loss was nothing compared to south Africa losing to Japan, but I enjoyed that.

I played rugby for 12 years, primarily as a flanker. I think rugby is more important than league but league is more entertaining and produces better athletes. In union I'm more interested in the forward play which is why I liked England because Australia has always been so-so in the forwards and then made up for it in the backs, but England have always had big mean ugly forwards and played the way the game is supposed to be played.
Gun

Postby da pink on 30. September 2015, 11:17

Not out year, and will the bloody taffs shut up about it?

Compliment I suppose
da pink

Postby da pink on 5. October 2015, 21:29

Think you gave us a little lesson in egg ball there fella
da pink

Postby Gun on 12. February 2017, 14:09

Fucking dud and disgrace hayne turned out to be, nfl wise, and then some. Tried out for the rugby 7s for fiji and they basically said he wasn't good enough, lol, now he's come back to the NRL and is basically sucking. However, I will say his flashes proved to me the nfl players aren't the immortal gods americans made them out to be, he was genuinely flattening them and side stepping them and making them look stupid, for a while.
Athletically he was clearly not dramatically inferior, if at all. He was at least up to their standard, and thats all he is in the NRL anyway. I still think an "aussie" rugby league raised guy can make an impact in an athletic position in the nfl. When I say aussie I ofcourse mean pacific islander or aborigine, lol.
Gun

Return to ball sports