The Khorasani Dog

The Khorasani Dog

Postby sunnyAK on 26. February 2014, 05:12

The Khorasani Dog aka Mazzari Fighting Dog, Aryan Molossus

This dog belongs to my good friend Hammad and is called Shadow. It is a great individual of the breed. If you have further questions about the breed I am sure Hammad will answer them. He is a member on our board too.

The ancient Khorasani Fighting Dog (Aryan Mastiff, Aryan Molossus) has close ties with old Persian mastiffs, as well as other Central Asian dogs, but this is a distinct breed. An excellent watchdog and guardian, this remarkably powerful mastiff was most commonly employed as a fighting dog used to settle various disputes among villagers, who respect the outcome of the match as the final judgment. If there was a feud between tribes and settlements, each party brought their own dog to represent them in the fighting ring. This way, the issues was resolved without human casualties. The Mazari Fighting Dog is a very rare breed today, seen only in the mountain regions of Afghanistan and Iran.

An excellent watchdog and guardian, this remarkably powerful breed was often employed as a fighting dog, used to settle various disputes among villagers, who respect the outcome of the match as the final judgement. If there was a feud between tribes and settlements, each party brought their own dog to represent them in the fighting ring. This way, the issues got resolved without human casualties. The Aryan Mastiff/Aryan Molossus is a heavy and muscular dog, very aggressive towards dogs and strangers that get in its territory. Due to its nature, it is handled only by its owner and family and tends to be a one person breed.

Bred to resolve disputes among the tribes of the region, whenever a problem arose the men of the tribe would approach the breeders of these dogs. Then, when both sides had procured a dog, the two dogs were dropped into a pit to fight it out. The losing dog either died during the fight or was destroyed afterward. The dogs were said to be even tempered with their owners but as they never met anyone else, they were fierce to everyone else. A very sad part of the "breeds" history.

In some ways closer to the Iranian LGD's and also to the native types of Caucasian LGDs than to the CAO breed, the Khorasani dog is an athletic and muscular Mastiff, extremely aggressive towards other dogs and intolerant of strangers. Due to its vicious nature, it is handled only by its owner, or maybe by a dog expert. Large-headed and well-boned, the Khurasani Dog has a strong and lean body, with long legs and a deep chest, somewhat wolf-like in appearance. The ears are usually cropped and the tail can be either docked or left unaltered, with naturally short-tailed dogs being most valued and considered the only pure ones by the breed fanciers.

While the breeds blood has made its way into the other types of what is considered the greater Central Asian Shepherd breed, namely the Kooche and Alabai variants, the breed itself is kept pure and isolated from other dogs and the bloodlines are maintained and guarded jealously by the few Mazarii families who tend to trade dogs between each other, rarely, if ever selling their dogs to outsiders.

It has a very dense, plush, medium-length coat, usually most common black with some diluted black stripes, we could call "black-brindle" in combination with a bigger white marking at its cheest and white "socks" at the feet. (The first combination is the most valued as it suggests purity) Other colours that can occur are grey-sable, reddish-brown, fawn, white or other brindle in colour. White markings are acceptable on the muzzle, feet and chest, as are darker patches on white dogs. The females, who come into heat only once a year, are much smaller than the male dogs, whose average height is around 30 inches, although some individuals can reach bigger sizes.
sunnyAK

Re: The Khorasani Dog

Postby Varna on 28. February 2014, 06:12

A fascinating looking dog! I haven't heard of the breed before, all I know is that the name Aryan Molossus must be a big misnomer. Aryans were no people from Greece/Molossia. They came from Persia.
Varna

Postby da pink on 2. April 2014, 15:28

That is a BIG head
da pink

Postby sunnyAK on 2. April 2014, 23:04

da pink wrote:That is a BIG head

Yes, I also always loved the head -both size & shape.
sunnyAK

Postby Varna on 19. April 2014, 06:22

What I don't understand is this is a seperate breed or just a certain strain of the Sage Koochee. So are they closer to Iranian LGDs or LGDs of Afghanistan? I hope somebody can clarify my questions. A very nice looking dog in the profile.
Varna

Postby freed on 19. April 2014, 18:22

Varna wrote:What I don't understand is this is a seperate breed or just a certain strain of the Sage Koochee. So are they closer to Iranian LGDs or LGDs of Afghanistan? I hope somebody can clarify my questions. A very nice looking dog in the profile.

Could be, but the dog in the profile looks different than most Sage Koochees.
This is a great looking dog:
Attachments
sage-koochee.de.jpg
sage-koochee.de.jpg (49.03 KiB) Viewed 1618 times
freed

Postby 1234 on 31. May 2014, 23:28

The black dog looks like a grown up version of my dog.

Postby freed on 2. June 2014, 05:43

1234 wrote:The black dog looks like a grown up version of my dog.

cool, can you post picture of your dog? :pp
freed

Postby 1234 on 2. June 2014, 07:02

I will for sure sometime this week. He is a 12 week old CAO male.

Postby deleted on 11. October 2014, 04:40

This is the only ancient fighting dog beside the Bully Kutta, but it doesn´t stand a chance against an ancient type Bully Kutta!
deleted

Postby sunnyAK on 12. October 2014, 07:48

ترجمة عربي ألماني wrote:This is the only ancient fighting dog beside the Bully Kutta, but it doesn´t stand a chance against an ancient type Bully Kutta!

Hammad´s Shadow fought BKs and never lost! He was focused on legs, while BK´s where focused on neck holds.
sunnyAK

Postby deleted on 13. October 2014, 17:15

sunnyAK wrote:
ترجمة عربي ألماني wrote:This is the only ancient fighting dog beside the Bully Kutta, but it doesn´t stand a chance against an ancient type Bully Kutta!

Hammad´s Shadow fought BKs and never lost! He was focused on legs, while BK´s where focused on neck holds.

These are only fairytales. BKs don´t lose against Koochee types!
deleted

Return to Aryan Mastin (Khorasani fighting dog)