Boz Dog

Boz Dog

Postby 1234 on 11. May 2014, 04:40

image.jpg
image.jpg (146.02 KiB) Viewed 5282 times

I am a new fan of Boz Dogs and lately have changed my mind about this breed. However there are some lies about this breed though. But I still like them. Lies about how they are all fighting dogs. And lies how they are all perfect LGD's.

Re: Boz Dog

Postby BradA1878 on 11. May 2014, 18:34

I really liked Taskin, my Boz/Kangal cross. But I had to place him as he couldn't coexist with ANY of my male dogs. That's not an acceptable trait for an LGD breed IMHO. He was very insecure around the other males and so would start fights.

ImageTaskin-1 by brada1878, on Flickr

ImageTaskin-7 by brada1878, on Flickr

He was a year old in those pics.

But... Even with that experience with Taskin, I liked him enough to give it another try. So I have a male boz pup arriving next week. Hopefully he will work out better.
BradA1878

Postcode/Location: Fairplay, Colorado USA

Postby 1234 on 11. May 2014, 19:03

Beautiful dog. May I ask a few quistions? Is the breed like what they say it is like? How big is was your male? Did you use him as a lgd or just a guard? And finally where do you buy your Kangal and Boz dogs. I am not interested but my new CAO pup is arriving in a few days it is just a quistion. What are the pros and cons of the breed?

Postby BradA1878 on 11. May 2014, 21:17

I'm happy to answer questions, but I've only owned Taskin, and it was just till he was a year old. So my opinion is based on that one experience. YMMV

1234 wrote:Is the breed like what they say it is like?

Um, not really. There is a LOT of hype in the Boz/Kangal dogs. Taskin was friendly with people and bad with other dogs. I dunno that I ever really saw him guarding much, I mean, he was alert and would bark at Coyotes and such, but he was nowhere near the type of guard I have seen in my other guardian breeds. He also wasn't great with kids, even from the first day I got him.

How big is was your male?

I think I measured him at 31.5" at the withers just before I placed him in his new home. I don't remember the weight, maybe 120lbs?

The dogs you see quoted to be +35" and over 200lbs is just a flat out lie. I'm sure there's a Boz out there somewhere who's 35" tall, but that's the exception not the rule. Also, I would bet money there has never been a 200lb Boz. 180lbs at the most.

Keep in mind that a lot of the height quotes you see for Kangals and Boz are measuring them at their head, not their back.

Did you use him as a lgd or just a guard?

I got Taskin for hiking/camping/adventuring in the backcountry. I wanted a large dog who didn't eat much and was rugged enough to deal with the altitude I live at. For this, Taskin was great. But his dog aggression was a real issue for me if I wanted to take him along with my hunting dogs or something like that. Also, if I happen to run into someone else with a dog on the trail he was a real issue.

Once he and I ran into a Coyote on a trail, the Coyote was following us. Taskin really didn't react at all. It was surprising to me, my COs or BBs would have flipped out.

And finally where do you buy your Kangal and Boz dogs.

I got Taskin from Natural Born Guardians, a kennel in Texas. My next one is coming from Brick Kangal in NJ.

What are the pros and cons of the breed?

Pros: They're less suspicious than COs and other LGD I've been around, which makes them easier to socialize. They don't eat much and they are very clean dogs. That can tolerate hot and cold.

Cons: Dog aggression.
BradA1878

Postby 1234 on 12. May 2014, 00:14

Thanks for awnsering my quistions.

Postby sunnyAK on 12. May 2014, 05:26

Thank you Brad1878 for sharing your experience here.
sunnyAK

Postby 1234 on 12. May 2014, 07:11

Hey Brad a few more questions. Do you think that this is a ancient or a recent breed? Also do you think this breed was ever a LGD or just a fighting dog. Or both? And if you would do a super quick breed summary that would be cool? If you had time to awnser these last quistions it would be very appreciated.

Postby freed on 12. May 2014, 22:34

Great information here and thank you Brad for posting such nice pics.
freed

Postby BradA1878 on 13. May 2014, 04:00

I'm glad you guys found it helpful. Thanks.

I'm happy to answer questions, but I am no expert on this breed. Being a member of the Primitive and Aboriginal Dog Association (PADS), I have read a lot of articles and talked to people about many of the aboriginal dogs, but I'm by no means an expert the Boz.

1234 wrote:Do you think that this is a ancient or a recent breed?

I think there was a landrace of Turkish LGD that was split into breeds. One of these breeds was the Kangal. In the South of Turkey there was a population of LGD that looked similar to the Kangal but had some different traits. I think Akin (Boz Kennel) saw an opportunity to turn that Turkish Shepherd "type" into a breed and market it in such a way. I think this happened after the original split of the landrace, which created the Akbash, Kangal, etc.

So, with that said, I think the landrace of LGDs in Turkey are ancient, but the breeds are a modern creation. Actually, this is the case with many very old and ancient aboriginal dogs. The concept of a "breed" is a modern invention. Before the modern kennel clubs were invented, and later the breed clubs, most dogs were part of a landrace. Kennel clubs then split those landraces into our modern day breeds. This is what happened with the Russian Laika, the Nihon Ken, the Korean dogs, most sleddogs, the mastiff breeds, and all of the LGD breeds.

So, if you ask me if ANY breed is an "ancient" or "aboriginal" breed, I will say "no". But, I will say that there are dog breeds that are derived from ancient aboriginal landraces - and I think the Turkish dogs are one of them.

Also do you think this breed was ever a LGD or just a fighting dog. Or both?

Based on what I wrote above, I think all of the Turkish LGD breeds of today are derived from Livestock Guardians. So, the Turkish dogs that are now called Boz and/or Kangal were at one point LGD. I know for a fact that Akin was very into fighting his Boz dogs at one point, tho he claims he's stopped doing that now. I also know they still fight Kangal in Turkey. So, I guess they are LGD that people also fight, but I wouldn't say they are fighting dogs.

And if you would do a super quick breed summary that would be cool?

I'd love to, but honestly, I dunno if I'm the right person to do that since I've only owned one Boz/Kangla cross.
BradA1878

Postby 1234 on 31. May 2014, 17:20

Wrote a breed profile on MD.
http://molosserdogs.com/m/articles/view/Boz-Shepherd

Any thing I should add or edit.

How is your Boz doing?

Postby freed on 2. June 2014, 05:39

I have heard Boerboels are often more human aggresive than LGDs. Would you say, they are also more human aggressive than Boz dogs?
freed

Postby 1234 on 2. June 2014, 07:00

No. But did I say that? :) Or are you asking me that quistion? Because alot of Boerboel's have lost their guarding qualities and instinct.

Postby 1234 on 2. June 2014, 08:31

I added some stuff to the breed profile.

Postby mihol1 on 3. June 2014, 09:10

1234 wrote:Wrote a breed profile on MD.
http://molosserdogs.com/m/articles/view/Boz-Shepherd
Any thing I should add or edit.
How is your Boz doing?

in my opinion you wrote an excellent breed profile. usually most breed profiles are similar to advertising like laudatory odes. your breed profile is more realistic
mihol1

Postby 1234 on 4. June 2014, 00:48

Thank you.

Postby freed on 4. June 2014, 03:19

1234 wrote:I added some stuff to the breed profile.

Good breed profile. Keep up the good work.
freed

Postby freed on 4. June 2014, 03:19

1234 wrote:I added some stuff to the breed profile.

Good breed profile. Keep up the good work.
freed

Postby 1234 on 29. July 2014, 19:35

Hey brad how is your Boz doing?

Postby deleted on 10. October 2014, 07:22

Amodern mongrel. Nothing like a unique Bully Kutta warrior!
deleted

Postby sunnyAK on 30. October 2014, 02:17

BradA1878 wrote:I really liked Taskin, my Boz/Kangal cross. But I had to place him as he couldn't coexist with ANY of my male dogs. That's not an acceptable trait for an LGD breed IMHO. He was very insecure around the other males and so would start fights.

ImageTaskin-1 by brada1878, on Flickr

ImageTaskin-7 by brada1878, on Flickr

He was a year old in those pics.

But... Even with that experience with Taskin, I liked him enough to give it another try. So I have a male boz pup arriving next week. Hopefully he will work out better.

Was Taskin really insecure or just happy to fight other males and challenge them?
sunnyAK

Postby Gun on 30. October 2014, 04:16

Can't speak for brad but the difference is very obvious, and dogs that really just want to fight for it's own sake are actually not common. IMO such dogs actually have a "homocidal" prey drive. I've known one such dog in my life, every other dog that liked starting fights did so because it was insecure. I've known confident dogs happy to finish fights but they were never the ones to start them.
Gun

Postby freed on 31. October 2014, 04:56

What I have often heard about Boz dogs is that they are more dog aggressive than Kangals, lack human aggression, or let's better say the typical mistrust guardians should have and compared to Malaks are less confident and by far less guardians, while Malaks are both very good guardians and fighters, but definitely not the right choice for flocks.
freed

Postby Bandog on 27. January 2015, 14:16

Great looking boz dog
Bandog

Postby freed on 28. January 2015, 03:45

Nice picture. I must admit that in many cases I would not be able to say if it is a "Boz dog" or "Kangal", which again makes it hard for me to consider a Boz dog to be a breed.
A well built Kangal isn´t less impressive than the last Boz dog here.
freed

Postby da pink on 28. January 2015, 10:21

I'm with you there. . . . .to me they're just slightly different lines of the same breed. TBH I find this with a lot of LGD. Probably cos I know 2/3rds of fuck all
da pink

Postby sunnyAK on 29. January 2015, 19:57

da pink wrote: TBH I find this with a lot of LGD. Probably cos I know 2/3rds of fuck all

That´s not the reason my friend. It is really simply that many LGDs are basically the same animals with small regional variants. So many Central Asians are very similar. However I can easily see if a dog is a Caucasian Volkodav or a CAO. Eve shape, head type and a few other things really differ.
sunnyAK

Postby da pink on 30. January 2015, 10:21

If you put 2 of each in front of me, I think I could tell you which pairs are the same. . . . but like you say, they are such slight variations for the most part (appearance wise) they are, like you say, the same animals...... there's probably more variation in SBTs
da pink

Return to Boz dog/Boz Shepherds´ Mastiff